Friday, June 4, 2010

The First Mate


So this is FMBAH, circa RenFest 2009. A good time was had by all, we played well with the other....er...privateers we encountered that day, and my lace stayed fairly clean. The sporran was not completely empty upon a return home, which was nice also.
The vest was a thrift store find, grey velour, with plastic and wooden beads on it. We found this long before the costume came to be, but it was so wonderful we knew we could do something with it at some point. I fiddled around with pants, and finally found a great set - lace up, and lace up calves with that Pantaloon look - at tobeapirate.com. My sewing skills were not up to this. As well, I had a look for a shirt that I wanted - waterfall ruffles from the neck down, and deep lace cuffs. This was the perfect shirt, although they run a little large. The boots are also lace up the back of the calf, found on Amazon. They really have a great selection of footwear.
The hat was harder. If you have dressed as a pirate, you know that you either buy a lovely leather piece, or you comb through the Halloween costume sites. Once I decided on the grey vest, I looked for a grey hat, and found this on using musketeer hat in the search engine. It snaps up on the one side, and I cut out a leather piece from one of the coats we have kept around for parts, and hot glued the feathers to the leather, and then wrapped the feathers all the way around, and glued the whole affair to the hat where it snaps. While hot glue is not the greatest, it held my plumage in place all day. I think I will reinforce this however, because I hate worrying part of my look is going to go blowing away.
I made the necklace, which is something I use for my Dark Lady RenFest costume. It's a 60's pot metal piece, and I found a costume pearl necklace that the pearls were falling off of and twisted them onto the necklace to give it more of an Elizabethan look. Plain pearl ball earrings, and while you can't see it, I put a 50s/60s pearl and rhinestone choker with this as well. Pirates liked to show their riches, and I was going for the dandy look.
The belt - there are 2, although they don't show well. The first went around my sash, and I attached a leather strap with a snap - you can make your own by finding an old leather coat with snaps on the wrists and cutting off the wrists and tidying up the seams - for my mug so I didn't have to carry it all day. This was a black leather belt with a brass buckle. I like that larger brass buckle look.
Oh! The sash was from the pirate website listed earlier, as it was realllly long, and I wrapped it around twice and still had a nice tail on it.
The second belt was a large men's belt, and this is what I attached my sword to. Sword, in scabbard - 5 bucks at a yard sale. Nice, somewhat tatty leather scabbard, which I kind of liked. It was too long, though, so I will be looking for a long dagger instead for this, because being short, the long sword bumped into a lot. I attached the sword to the belt with the other wrist of the aforementioned leather coat, and it hung nicely. I have seen the really lovely stiff leather sword scabbards that are several vertical loops of leather that hold the sword close to prevent swinging, which may be an option should I keep this in my regular costume closet.
So there is a rundown on the pirate garb. I really liked this get up, so it may come to D*C this year.
On the RenFest front, I think since I am working on lots of D*C costumes, I am going to bring out the Dark Lady. I love her. So I will get decked out, and post a pic, and go through the costume again.
As well, I need to get COP on here to post pics of her pirate self, and the costume breakdown, because her vest is just awesome.
FM

No comments:

Post a Comment